Here are some of the best submission opportunities I found this week:
Borderlands 7 (Borderlands Press) seeks fiction & art
From the editor, Olivia F. Monteleone: “For Borderlands 7 I’m looking for pretty much the same kinds of fiction: no clichés, nothing familiar. I don’t want to see vampires, killer plants, shrinking humans, werewolves, trolls, goblins, ghouls, once-upon-a-times, zombies, ghosts, found footage, etc. If you have a story in your arsenal and you wonder if hmm … this one might fall into one of the above tropes, it probably does. So just don’t send. Work out something else and send it in! And if you’ve never read a Borderlands anthology, I don’t think you have a chance of selling a story to me.”
“I’m looking for cover art. As far as the visual art goes I don’t want anything I listed above to be represented. Other than that I’m very open to different styles. Send samples from your portfolio and we can collaborate, OR send a piece you think would fit the anthology. Artwork deadline is February 1, 2017.”
“Editing volume 6 was a great experience; I am thrilled to commence work on volume 7. The stories in Borderlands 6 were AMAZING in their variety and originality, and that’s the caliber of story I am looking for … and I can’t say this enough: before submitting, pick up a previous volume to get a sense of what the series is all about. Please do not let a past rejection stop you from submitting. Never been published? Submit. Been published for forty years? Submit. Write a good story. Scare yourself. Make your s/o’s wonder who their partner is. Confuse your friends. Make sure I don’t sleep at night because I can’t get your story out of my head.” Hard copies ONLY.
Deadline March 1, 2017
Publication date July 2017
Hard copies ONLY to Borderlands Press, PO Box 61, Benson MD 21019
DreadFest Nanofiction Writing Contest seeks entries
- Must be submitted by and the work of individuals age 12 and older.
- Must be original, unpublished works only.
- Must contain 100 words or fewer.
- Must have separate cover sheet which includes the author’s name, age, mailing address, phone number and email address.
- Name and identifying information must not be included on entry; only include it on the cover sheet.
- Must be electronic submissions only.
- Must be in a Word document, typed in 12 point Times New Roman and double-spaced.
- Must have no illustrations or photos.
- 1st prize: $50; 2nd prize: $30; 3rd prize: $20; and honorable mention(s).
- One submission per entrant shall be accepted.
Failure to follow the contest guidelines will result in your work not being considered. Please read and re-read the directions carefully. Submissions shall be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline January 13, 2017